1. That one day my baby won’t need me as much as he needs me now. It feels amazing to be this needed.
2. That a choice I make for him will lead to something awful and I’ll never be able to forgive myself. A mother’s guilt.
3. That one day a girl will break his heart. Kill the evil female!
4. That one day he will love another girl more than me! I always want to be number one!
5. That his bedroom is either too hot or too cold when he’s sleeping. I pop in a little more than I admit to make sure the room stays at a comfortable temperature for sleeping without a blanket.
6. That when he plays on the swings at the playground he is touching every germ on every child in Manhattan. This is just the beginning of germs, I know.
7. That daily things like the microwave, or non-organic food, or vaccines will hurt him in some way. This is how paranoid mothers think.
8. That when I give up breastfeeding a certain bond between us will be severed. I love being the only person in the world that can nourish him in this special way.
9. That I won’t choose the best school for him- how do I know the best place for him to grow into his best self? And in NYC the school choice is another excuse to obsess.
10. Am I signing him up for enough classes and play dates? How much is too much? What’s more important: stimulation or down time? Thank goodness I’m a Libra- BALANCE IS KEY.
That this list reveals that I’m completely obsessed and psychotic over my child. But then, maybe that just makes me a “normal mother.”